Poha is a very easy and quick breakfast or snack option. It cooks very fast, almost instantly. You can add onions, potatoes, peas, carrots, or simply make it plain with just tempering and a little seasoning. Top it with some nankeen, chutneys or even chopped onions. The tempering requires very little oil so it serves as a good option for weight watchers.
In this recipe, I have used chopped potatoes and onions, but really you can add other vegetables as well and make it a health packed snack. You can add more green chillies or red chillies if you like it spicier.
1. Poha – 2 cups
2. Potato – 1 small, pealed and finely chopped
3. Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
4. Green Chilli – 1 small, finely chopped
5. Peanuts – 2 tbsp, roasted
6. Mustard Seeds (Rai) – ½ tsp
7. Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – ½ tsp
8. Curry Leaves – 6-7
9. Red Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
10. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – ½ tsp
11. Salt or to taste
12. Lemon Juice – ½ tsp
13. Coriander Leaves to garnish
14. Vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves to the hot oil and let it splutter for a few seconds.
2. Add the chopped potatoes and fry till they are soft.
3. Add the chopped onions and green chillies to the saucepan and fry until the onions turn translucent.
4. Add the turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
5. Wash and drain the poha in a strainer.
6. Add the poha to the saucepan and mix well. Add salt to taste, cover and cook for two minutes.
7. Add some lemon juice, peanuts and chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with namkeen or mint chutney.