Fish mappas is dish from Kerala with sweet flavour of coconut milk and a slight pungent taste of mustard powder. Mildly spiced with crushed peppercorns.
I have used store bough coconut milk and instead of mustard powder I have used 1 tsp of regular mustard sauce. Only reason for this is that mustard powder was out of stock!
In the tempering, I have added some whole garam masala spices like cloves and green cardamoms. You can leave them out for a lighter version. Also, I have pan-fried the marinated fish pieces instead of cooking it in the gravy.
1. Fish (Rawas / surmai / mahi mahi/ any of your choice) – 250 gms
2. Onion – 2 medium, finely chopped
3. Tomato – 2 large, finely chopped
4. Green Chilli – 1, finely chopped
5. Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
6. Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
7. Coconut Milk – ½ cup
8. Mustard powder / Paste – 1 tbsp
9. Mustard seeds (Rai) – ½ tsp
10. Green Cardamom (Elaichi) – 4-5
11. Cloves (Laung) – 1 tsp
12. Curry Leaves – 10-12
13. Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp, crushed
14. Turmeric powder (Haldi) – ½ tsp
15. Coriander powder (Dhania powder) – 2 tsp
16. Vinegar – 1 tsp
17. Salt to taste
18. Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
19. Coriander leaves to garnish
1. Marinate the fish with 1/4th tsp turmeric powder (haldi), coriander powder (dhania powder), salt and vinegar. Keep it aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a karhai. Add the tempering to the hot oil – mustard seeds (rai), green cardamom (elaichi), cloves (laung), curry leaves, crushed peppercorns.
3. Add the onions and fry until slightly browned.
4. Add the ginger and garlic paste and fry for a minute or two.
5. Add the tomatoes, remaining turmeric powder (haldi), coriander powder (dhania powder) and salt. Cook covered until the oil floats on top.
6. Meanwhile, pan-fry the marinated fish pieces carefully.
7. Add hot water to the karhai to make a gravy and leave it to come to a boil.
8. Add the mustard powder/paste and mix well.
9. Add the fried fish pieces into the gravy. Cover and cook for 2 -3 minutes.
10. Add coconut milk, give it a good stir and then remove from heat. Do not boil for long after incorporating the coconut milk as it will curdle.
11. Garnish with finely copped coriander leaves.
Serve with rice or appams.