Raita is a popular accompaniment in Indian food. Given the hot and humid climate of India, yoghurt is greatly consumed in all parts of the country.
This raita is ideal for hot summer meals. It incorporates a salad into the cooling yoghurt and makes for a filling accompaniment. Team it with a simple dal or a light vegetable dish along with some breads or rice.
Do add lots of mint leaves either fresh or dried.
1. Yoghurt (Dahi) – 2 cups
2. Water – 1/4th cup
3. Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
4. Tomato – 1 small, deseeded and finely chopped
5. Cucumber – 1 small, finely chopped
6. Mint leaves (Pudhina) – 1 tsp
7. Cumin powder (Jeera powder) – 1 tsp
8. Black Salt (Kala Namak) – ½ tsp
9. Salt to taste
1. Beat the yoghurt and water to a smooth consistency.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Chill the raita well before serving.