Baby potatoes tempered with carom seeds and flavoured with a mint paste.
In this recipe, I have par-boiled the baby potatoes. If you want to add more depth to the dish, you can deep-fry the par-boiled potatoes. It will add a crispy texture to the potatoes.
Mint leaves paste is like a chutney. I have used just onion, lemon juice and salt for the paste/chutney. If you have your own favourite pudhina chutney recipe, you may make it that way.
1. Baby potatoes – 250 gms
2. Carom Seeds (Ajwain) – ½ tsp
3. Turmeric powder (Haldi)– 1/4th tsp
4. Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
5. Dry Mango Powder (Amchoor powder) – 1 tsp
6. Mint leaves – 2 cups
7. Onion – ½ small, roughly chopped
8. Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
9. Salt to taste
10. Oil – 1 tsp
1. Par-boil the baby potatoes. Then peel and chop ones that are too big.
2. Meanwhile, make a paste of mint leaves (pudhina), onion, salt to taste and lemon juice. Add a little water to make the chutney.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add the carom seeds (ajwain) and asafoetida (hing) to the hot oil.
4. Add the potatoes and roast on medium heat for a few minutes.
5. Add salt, turmeric powder (haldi) and dry mango powder (amchoor powder). Mix well to coat all the potatoes. Cover the pan and cook until the potatoes are soft.
6. Add the prepared chutney and mix well. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then remove and serve.