Puris are an all time favourite! You can have it along with a vegetable, gravy or even plain with some mango achchar (pickle)!
Methi puri has the earthy flavour of fenugreek leaves (methi) mixed with the goodness of a puffed up deep-fried puri!
1. Fenugreek leaves (Methi) – 2 cups
2. Wheat Flour – 1 cup
3. Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
4. Cumin powder (Jeera powder) – 1 tsp
5. Salt to taste
6. Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
7. Water – as required to knead the dough
8. Oil – 3 cups for deep frying + 4 tbsp for kneading dough
1. Wash the fenugreek leaves (methi) and chop them finely.
2. Mix together in a bowl – the chopped fenugreek leaves, wheat flour, red chilli powder, cumin powder (jeera powder), salt, asafoetida and 4 tbsp oil. Add water slowly and start mixing the ingredients. Knead into a tough dough.
3. Keep the dough covered for a few minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil for deep-frying.
5. Make small balls – about the size of lemon – with the prepared dough. Make small balls and small puris as they will puff better.
6. Roll out each dough ball on a greased surface with a rolling pin into round disks. You can even use a puri press.
7. Deep fry in hot oil until slightly browned from both sides.