A nutritious salad with the goodness of buckwheat and ghee roasted sweet potato cubes. This salad can be had in the evening or replace a meal if you plan to keep it light.
Buckwheat seeds are easily available in any gourmet store. Just rinse a couple of times and boil in slightly salted water. They are fairly tasteless but when mixed with other ingredients, they add a good texture to the salad.
I make homemade basil power by drying fresh basil leaves and then roasting them for a few minutes on a hot pan. Then I grind it to a fine powder in a mixer grinder.
I love to roast the sweet potato in ghee. It makes it even more delicious and also holds the shape and does not get mashed when mixed with other ingredients.
1. Buckwheat – 2 cup
2. Sweet Potato – 1 medium, pealed and chopped into I inch cubes
3. Pomegranate – 1 medium
4. Basil leaf / Dried basil powder – 1 tsp
5. Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
6. Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
7. Salt – to taste
8. Pepper powder – ½ tsp
9. Clarified butter (Ghee) – 2 tbsp
1. Boil the buckwheat until cooked.
2. Boil the sweet potato cubes in water until they are just about done. Then drain all the water and keep the sweet potato aside.
3. Heat the clarified butter (Ghee) in a pan. Fry the boiled sweet potato cubes until they are slightly browned from all sides.
4. Meanwhile, mix together the boiled buckwheat and pomegranate in a bowl.
5. Now add the fried sweet potato cubes to the bowl.
6. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well.
7. Cool the salad well before serving.