A chicken curry recipe with southern flavours of coconut and kadi patta.
This is a very simple recipe and goes very well with just plain rice.
If you have time, serve it with hot appams.
The flavours are distinct and it is a light gravy dish.
You can use curry cut medium chicken pieces or make it with just drumsticks, boneless cubes or legs.
Yogurt and roasted papad make good accompaniments.
1. Chicken – 250 gms
2. Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
3. Tomato – 2 medium, pureed
4. Coconut milk – 1 cup
5. Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
6. Cumin seeds (Jeera seeds) – 1 tsp
7. Whole red chilli – 2, roughly broken
8. Black Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
9. Kadi patta – 10-15 leaves
10. Coriander powder (Dhania powder) – 1 tsp
11. Turmeric powder (Haldi) – 1/4th tsp
12. Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
13. Salt to taste
14. Ghee/Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Heat the ghee in a saucepan.
2. Once the ghee is hot and smoking, add the cumin seeds (jeera seeds), black mustard seeds (rai), broken whole red chillies and kadi patta.
3. Add the chopped onions and fry until the onions turn golden brown. Add splashes of water in between to evenly brown the onions. Keep stirring often.
4. Add the ginger paste and mix well. Fry for another 2-3 minutes until the raw aroma of the ginger paste goes.
5. Add the tomato puree and mix well. Add the turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, coriander powder (dhania powder) and salt and mix well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes on low heat. Keep stirring in between.
6. Add the chicken pieces and mix well. Add ½ cup hot water and mix well. Cover and cook for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Once the chicken is cooked, add the coconut milk and boil for just 2-3 minutes.
8. Serve with plain rice or appams.