This recipe is very good for kids. Lots of vegetables, which they would otherwise not eat. And once pureed and mixed with cheese and cream, these colourful bell peppers taste very good.
I often make this for my little one and he loves it. And he is a very picky eater.
I like to make this with gluten free pasta. Gluten free pasta is now easily available in all gourmet stores. I pick the one made from rice flour and vegetables such as beetroot and spinach. The pasta looks colourful and is healthy too. But you can even make it with regular pasta.
1. Gluten free paste – 2 cups
2. Red bell pepper – 1 medium, roughly chopped
3. Yellow bell pepper – 1 medium, roughly chopped
4. Green bell pepper – 1 medium, roughly chopped
5. Onion – 1 medium, roughly chopped
6. Tomato – 2 small, roughly chopped
7. Garlic – 2-3 pods, roughly chopped
8. Dried Basil – 1 tsp
9. Cheese – 1 cup
10. Pepper powder – ½ tsp
11. Fresh Cream – 2 tbsp
12. Salt to taste
13. Sugar – a pinch
14. Butter – 2 tbsp
15. Extra Virgin Olive oil – 2 tbsp
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan.
2. Add the chopped red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green bell pepper, onions, tomatoes and garlic to the pan together.
3. Fry on medium heat, stirring continuously, until the vegetables turn soft. It will take about 10 minutes.
4. Cool the vegetables and then puree it into a paste.
5. Meanwhile, boil 4 cups of water in a pan. Add a pinch of salt to it. Add the pasta and cook for 7 minutes. Usually, gluten free pasta takes about 7 minutes to cook. But do check with the instructions on the packet as it may differ for each brand. Once cooked, drain all the water and keep the cooked paste in a colander.
6. Heat the butter and the remaining olive oil in a pan.
7. Add the pureed mixture and mix well.
8. Add the dried basil, pepper powder, salt and sugar.
9. Heat until it starts to bubble. Then add the cream and mix well.
10. Mix in the cooked paste.
11. Finally, add the grated cheese and mix well.