These crispy mathrsi hold a very special place in my heart. My grandmother use to make these and this was among the first few things I learned from her. She use to knead the dough so well that the mathris were always amazingly khasta (crispy).
Whenever all cousins would gather, she would serve a plate full of these mathris with mango pickle.
I like to keep recipe simple using just ajwain (Caron) seeds for flavour. You can add any herbs of your choice.
Make sure to knead the dough well and knead it into a tough dough. Also while frying, heat the oil well but before dropping in the mathris, reduce the heat to medium. If the heat is too high, the mathris will cook fast from the outside and become soggy once cooled. On medium heat, they will get cooked through and remain crispy.
1. Whole-wheat flour – 1 cup
2. Refined Flour (Maida) – 1 cup
3. Semolina (Sooji) – 4 tbsp
4. Carom seeds (Ajwain seeds) – 1 tsp
5. Salt to taste
6. Warn Water – as required to knead the dough
7. Clarified Butter – 4 tbsp, melted
8. Oil – 3 cups, for deep-frying
1. Sieve the whole-wheat flour, refined flour, semolina and salt together.
2. Add the carom seeds (ajwain seeds) and salt to taste.
3. Add in the clarified butter and mix. It will become a little crumbly.
4. Add water slowly and bring the mixture together to knead into a tough dough.
5. Once the dough is formed, cover it with a damp muslin cloth and keep it aside for half an hour.
6. Heat the oil in a rounded saucepan.
7. After half and hour, on a lightly floured surface, roll out a big dough ball into a 1 cm thick circle. Using a fork, prick the circle at various places. This will prevent the mathri from bloating up while frying.
8. Take a cup the size you want your mathri to be – you may even use a cookie cutter. Cut out as many as you can with the cup or cookie cutter.
9. Gently drop a couple of them in hot oil. Reduce the heat to medium and fry until the mathri turn golden brown.
10. Once done, remove with a slotted spoon and place the cooked mathris on absorbent paper to drain all excess oil.
11. Fry all the mathri this way.