1. Mix Dal – 1 cup
2. Turmeric powder (Haldi) – ¼ th tsp
3. Dry mango powder (Amchoor powder) – 1 tsp
4. Garam Masala powder – 1 tsp
5. Whole Red Chillies – 2, roughly broken
6. Cumin seeds (Jeera Seeds) – 1 tsp
7. Asafoetida (Hing) – 1/4th tsp
8. Salt to taste
9. Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tbsp
1. Wash the dal well under running water. Soak it in 1 cup of water for 1 hour.
2. After an hour, place the soaked dal in a pressure cooker and add 1 cup more water. Also add the turmeric powder and salt to taste.
3. Pressure cook the dal for 4-5 whistles. Then reduce heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Open the pressure cooker once the steam settles. Add the dry mango powder and grama masala powder and mix well. Boil the dal for 10 minutes on low heat, stirring continuously. Add water if it is too dry.
5. After 10 minutes, take a tadka pan and heat the ghee in it.
6. Add the cumin seeds (jeera seeds), broken red chillies and asafoetida (hing) to the hot ghee and allow it to splutter for a few seconds.
7. Pour the tadka into the dal and mix well.
8. Garnish with chopped coriander seeds and mix well.