1. Arbi – 5-6
2. Carom seeds (Ajwain seeds) – 1 tsp
3. Turmeric powder (Haldi) – 1/4th tsp
4. Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
5. Dry mango powder (Amchoor) – 1 tsp
6. Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
7. Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, to garnish
8. Oil – 4 tbsp
1. Wash the arbi under running water. Scrub well to remove all mud.
2. Place the arbi in a pressure cooker and add 2 cups water. Pressure-cook the arbi for 2 whistles.
3. Remove the arbi and allow it to cool before peeling each. Chop into cubes.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Add carom seeds to the hot oil and let it crackle for a few seconds.
5. Add the arbi cubes and fry on high heat, stirring continuously for a few minutes.
6. Add the turmeric powder (haldi), red chilli powder, dry mango power (amchoor) and salt. Mix to coat the arbi pieces with the masalas.
7. Lower the heat and cover the pan. Cook the arbi for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
8. Once roasted, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.