A healthy dose of vegetables in this upma recipe.
It also looks gorgeous with so many bright coloured vegetables standing out against the white creamy sooji upma.
If you can chop the vegetables really finely, kids would love this dish and so would mommies knowing how many vegetables your child is eating with each spoonful. (I have a Tupperware manual chopper that is the best thing ever! It can chop the vegetables really fine)
Make this for Sunday brunch and have a healthy and hearty day ahead!
1. Semolina (Sooji) – 1 cup, roasted
2. Water – 2 cups
3. Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
4. Carrot – 1 small, finely chopped
5. Potato – 1 small, cut into tiny cubes
6. Green peas – 2 tbsp
7. Capsicum – 1/2 small, finely chopped
8. Ginger – ½ inch piece, finely chopped
9. Green chillies – 1 small, finely chopped
10. Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
11. Lemon juice – 2 tsp
12. Salt –1 tsp for to taste
1. Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
2. Curry leaves – 10-15
3. Urad dal– 1 tsp, soaked for 15 minutes
4. Channa Dal – 1 tsp, soaked for 15 minutes
5. Clarified butter (Ghee) – 2 tbsp (the more the tastier)
1. If sooji is not roasted, then roast the semolina until it changes colour to a light brown. Roast on medium heat stirring continuously.
2. Heat the clarified butter in a saucepan.
3. Add the tempering – mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal (water drained) and curry leaves. Allow the tempering to splutter for a few seconds.
4. Now add the ginger and green chillies and sauté for a few seconds.
5. Add all the vegetables to the saucepan and mix well. Add ½ cup water and salt, cover the saucepan with a lid and let the vegetables cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
6. Check to see if the vegetables are cooked through.
7. Once cooked, add the roasted semolina and mix well.
8. Boil the remaining water in another pan. Add the boiled water the saucepan and mix well with a whisk to ensure there are no lumps formed. Cover and cook till all the water is absorbed. If the upma is looking too dry, then add some more hot water and let it absorb.
9. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.