A simple prawns curry with coconut milk. It is mildly spiced to allow the coconut milk flavour to come through more prominently. The curry is runny as it goes best with plain rice. But if you wish to make a slightly thickish gravy to have with breads, then just skip adding the water.
1. Medium Prawns – 12-15
2. Onion – 1 large, finely chopped
3. Ginger paste – 1 tsp
4. Garlic paste – 1 tsp
5. Green chilli – 1 small, finely chopped
6. Cumin seeds (Jeera)- 1 tsp
7. Mustard seeds (Rai) – 1 tsp
8. Coriander powder (Dhania powder) – 2 tsp
9. Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
10. Curry leaves – 10-12
11. Coconut milk – 2 cups
12. Turmeric powder (Haldi) – 1/4th tsp
13. Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
14. Coriander leaves for garnish
15. Water- 1 cup
16. Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Wash and devein the prawns.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds (jeera), mustard seeds (Rai), asafoetida (hing) and curry leaves.
3. Add the finely chopped onions and fry on medium heat. Stir continuously so the onions brown evenly. Add a few splashes of water and a pinch a salt. Cook until they turn golden brown.
4. Mix in the ginger paste, garlic paste and green chillies. Fry for a minute or two.
5. Add the coriander powder (dhania powder), turmeric powder (haldi), salt and red chilli powder and fry for a few minutes.
6. Mix in the water and coconut milk and let it come to a boil.
7. Drop in the prawns and cover the pan. Cook on low heat for 10 -12 minutes until the prawns are cooked.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with steamed rice.