1. Black chickpeas (kala channa) – 2 cups
2. Olive oil – 2 tbsp
3. Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
4. Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
5. Chaat masala – 1 tsp
6. Coriander leaves – 1/4th cup, chopped
7. Red chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
1. Wash the black chickpeas well under running water. Soak the black chickpeas in water (Kala channa) overnight.
2. The next day, drain the remaining water and add the chickpeas to the pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water. The water should be just 1/2 an inch above the chickpeas.
3. Pressure cook for 2 whistles, then lower the heat and continue to cook for about 20 minutes. Then switch off the heat and allow the steam to settle.
4. Open the lid of the pressure cooker and place it on the heat again. Dry cook all the remaining water. Stir often to ensure the chickpeas do not get stuck to the bottom of the pressure cooker.
5. Once all the water has dried up, remove the cooked chickpeas and place in a bowl. Cool in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
6. Add all the other ingredients – olive oil, lemon juice, red chilli powder, chaat masala, salt and coriander leaves. Mix everything well and serve it chilled.