I always pick up zucchini – the green one and the yellow one.
First of all they look so inviting in those bright colours together and second – they taste even better.
Many of you guys may have eaten it in a medley of vegetables on the side with a roast or a bar-be-que chicken. It is even used as a pizza topping or in a hot soup. You will be surprised to know that zucchini is indeed a very versatile vegetable that has a very mild flavour and also cooks fast.
Do give this vegetable a try with this simple stir fry dish.
The magical taste enhancer – Vegetable puree
Thick puree of boiled vegetables – carrots, beans, potato, bottle gourd (lauki) or pumpkin. All these vegetables are quite neutral in taste and have a whole lot of goodness. It is not a stock of these vegetables as a stock is usually the residue water in which the veggies are boiled.
Here, I pressure cooked roughly chopped vegetables using little water (about 1 cup) and then cool and puree the whole thing with a hand blender. And thus I get my thick and nutritious filled vegetable puree.
I call it magical as I incorporate it anywhere and everywhere I can like dals, gravy dishes like chicken curry, egg curry, stir fry it with rice and even knead my chapati dough with it.
It adds no taste as it is just boiled vegetables without any salt or pepper. But it does make the gravy rich and adds a good depth to it. It also serves the goodness of vegetables, just hidden away from pesky eaters! (I am looking at my 3 year old and even my 33 year old boy- hubby)
1. Chicken – 2 small breasts, chopped into small 1 cm cubes
2. Yellow Zucchini – 1/2, cubed
3. Green Zucchini – 1/2, cubed
4. Vegetable puree (optional) – 1 cup
5. Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp
6. Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
7. Pepper powder – a pinch
8. Mustard paste – 1 tbsp
9. Mayonnaise – 2 tbsp
10. Extra Virgin Olive Oil –1 tbsp
1. Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the vegetable puree and let it heat up. Then add the chicken pieces.
If you are not using vegetable puree, add the chicken pieces to the hot oil.
2. After about 10 minutes, add the chopped zucchini and mix well.
3. If you you cooking the chicken pieces in the vegetable puree then keep the heat high and cover and cook until the chicken is tender. Then open the lid and stir-fry till the puree dries up coating the chicken pieces and zucchini evenly.
4. Add all the rest of the ingredients – mayonnaise, red chilli flakes, mustard paste, pepper powder and salt – and mix well.
5. Remove from heat and cool it for an hour.
You can garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
You can even have this hot with a toast.