Best part about this dish – it is mostly wash, assemble and bake and makes for yummy leftover recipes as well.
You can use chicken breasts – in which case you need to pound them to an even thickness before layering.
I have used chicken strips as they are anyways thin.
I cook this in a big dish with almost 800 gms of chicken strips so that the next day I can use it in grilled sandwiches or chop it up and add to a rich vegetable broth.
You may adjust the ingredients to suit your requirements.
1. Chicken Breasts / Chicken strips – 4 / 1 kg
2. Spinach – 1 bunch, washed and cleaned
3. Mushrooms – 300 gms, each chopped in to four pieces
4. Italian seasoning – as required
5. Salt – to taste
6. Pepper Powder – to taste
- Heat the oven to 180 degree C and line a 10 x 14 x 2 inch casserole
2. Wash and pat dry the chicken breasts / strips. Spread them out on a flat plate. Sprinkle salt generously. Sprinkle pepper powder and mixed Italian seasoning.
3. Spread a layer of spinach leaves at the bottom of the casserole.
4. Next spread a layer of mushrooms.
5. Place the chicken pieces next.
6. Cover with a foil and seal the ends.
7. Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 60-65 minutes.
Next day – chop the remaining chicken pieces and add it into a soup.