This is a no fail recipe, and a truly fabulous one. Even though the preparing process sounds complicated, but it is actually very easy.
The cashew sauce is rich, with the soy sauce adding the perfect blend to the spicy and lemony sauce.
Rice noodles – do add the lemon juice to the cooked noodles – it’s the star ingredient for the noodles, giving it a refreshing lemony twist.
The whole dish – the lemony noodles, rich cashew sauce and the chicken/ mushroom fry – comes together so well.
And once again I would like to mention – it is actually very easy to make this!
Serves – 2
For the chicken fry:
1. Chicken – 300 gms, boneless cubes
2. Sweet Chilli Sauce – 3 tbsp
3. Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
4. Pepper Powder – to taste
5. Oil – 1 tbsp
1. Mushroom – 300 gm, chopped into four
2. Carrot – 1 medium, chopped into small cubes
1. Cashew – 1/2 cup, roughly broken
2. Ginger Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
3. Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp
4. Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
5. Green Chillies/ Jalapeños – 2-3 green chillies, 8-10 jalapeños
6. Oil – 1 tsp
7. Water – 1/2 cup
1. Rice Noodles – Any rice noodle, I used Real Thai Pad Thai Noodles
2. Oil – 1 tbsp
3. Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
4. Salt – 1 tsp
Marinate the chicken cubes with salt, pepper and sweet chilli sauce. Keep aside for 10 – 15 minutes.
Marinate the mushroom and carrot cubes with salt, pepper and sweet chilli sauce.
Prepare the cashew paste
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Once the oil is hot, add the broken cashew in the pan.
2. Add the ginger and garlic paste and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the soy sauce to the pan, sauté for a few seconds and remove the saucepan from heat.
4. Add 1/2 cup water, lemon juice, salt and green chillies/jalapeños and puree the cashew mix using a mixer grinder into a fine paste.
5. Add more water if the paste is too thick.
6. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a saucepan, add the marinated chicken cubes and fry until the chicken is cooked through.
For the vegetarian version, heat oil and add the mushroom and cook until the mushroom is cooked.
Heat 5 cups of water in a large saucepan. Allow the water to come to a good boil. Drop in the rice noodles gently and cook for some minutes. Once cooked, drain the noodles under cold water and place the noodles in a bowl.
Add the oil, salt and lemon juice to the noodles and toss well to coat all the noodles.
1. Place the prepared noodles in a bowl.
2. Spread the cashew sauce over the noodles.
3. Place the cooked chicken / mushroom over the sauce.