A wonderful curry for a healthy and wholesome meal. Baby spinach cooks fast and adds a unique flavour to the potato curry.
Potato curry is tempered using a mix of seeds – fennel and fenugreek which are enough to add flavour to the whole dish.
1. Potato – 4 medium, peeled and cubed
2. Baby Spinach – 2 cups, roughly chopped
3. Green Chillies – 2-3, finely chopped
4. Tomatoes – 2 large, pureed
5. Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tsp
6. Oil – 2 tbsp
1. Cumin Seeds (Jeera seeds) – 1 tsp
2. Fennel Seeds (Sauf seeds) – 1 tsp
3. Fenugreek Seeds (Methi dana) – 3-4
1. Turmeric powder (Haldi) – 1/4th tsp
2. Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
3. Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
4. Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Heat oil in a saucepan. Once the oil is hot, add the tempering – cumin seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds. Allow to splutter for a few seconds.
Add the ginger and garlic paste.
Add the tomato puree and mix well. Cover the pan and cook on low heat. Cook till the tomatoes start to leave oil.
Add green chillies, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. Mix well.
Add the cubed potatoes and 1 cup of water. Mix well. Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low heat, until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.
Once the potatoes are cooked, mash a little potatoes using a potato masher.
Add baby spinach and mix well. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Serve with chapati.