A rich, creamy and absolutely delicious butter chicken recipe.
The most important part is to sieve the tomato and onion puree to get that smooth silky gravy.
Be generous in using butter and cream as this is after all a makhni chicken recipe!
Chicken Marination Ingredients
1. Chicken – 300 gms boneless breast pieces, thinly sliced
2. Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
3. Salt – 1 tsp
4. Ginger Paste – 1/2 tsp
5. Garlic Paste – 1/2 tsp
6. Oil – 1 tbsp
1. Onion – 1 large, chopped
2. Tomatoes – 4 large, chopped
3. Cashew nuts – 8-9, roughly broken
4. Ginger paste – 1 tsp
5. Garlic paste – 1 tsp
6. Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
7. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 1/4th tsp
8. Coriander Powder (Dhania) – 1 tsp
9. Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
10. Sugar – 1 tsp
11. Lemon juice – 1 tsp
12. Salt – 1 tsp
13. Oil – 3 tbsp
14. Butter – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp (to be added later)
15. Cream – 1/2 cup + 1 tsp for garnishing
16. Dried Fenugreek Leaves (Kasoori Methi) – 1 tsp, crushed
1. Marinate the chicken slices with all the ingredients listed under the marination. Marinate overnight or for 1 hour.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the chicken pieces, preferably in one layer. Cook from both sides for 6-7 minutes till they are just about cooked through. Once done, remove from pan and keep aside in a bowl.
3. In the same pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and 2 tbsp of butter.
4. Add in the onions and cook until they are soft.
5. Next add the ginger and garlic paste.
6. Next goes in in the chopped tomatoes along with broken cashew nuts.
7. Mix in the masalas – red chilli powder, coriander powder, salt, sugar, lemon juice and garam masala powder.
8. Cover the pan and cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
9. Then remove from heat and cool the mixture. Transfer to a mixer grinder and grind it to a fine paste. Now take a sieve and pour the pureed mixture though the sieve back into the same pan. Scrape the sieve well until only the skins of tomatoes are left to discard.
10. Now add the chicken pieces into the gravy and cook covered for a few minutes till the chicken is well cooked.
11. Add cream, kasoori methi and butter. Mix well and check the seasoning.
12. Garnish with cream and a little crushed kasori methi.
Chicken from Licious
Cream- Amul whipping cream (because it’s nice and creamy)